Belgrade, Serbia, Historical Profile (1919)
Belgrade, Belgrayd', Serbia, the capital and largest city of the kingdom, situated on the south bank of the Danube at its confluence with the Save. From October, 1915, until the fall of 1918, Belgrade was in the possession of the Central Powers; on the collapse of the Teutonic alliance it was restored to Serbia. The city is strongly fortified, and at the end of the medieval period it was an outpost of Hungary, helping to keep back the Turks. After a long period of changing fortunes, during which it was alternately in the hands of the Turks and the Austrians, Belgrade became, a Serbian city.
Since then it has developed into an up-to-date city enjoying modern lighting and transportation and possessing wide streets and fine public buildings. The notable edifices include the palace of the king, a great cathedral, the national theater and the Royal Serbian Academy of Sciences. Belgrade University, founded in 1818, had over 900 students before the World War. In normal years the city has prosperous manufactories of carpets, silks, hardware and cutlery. Population, 1910, 90,890. It decreased during the four years of war, at times to half its peace-time size.