Minneapolis, Minnesota, Historical Profile (1919), #004-Buildings
The city contains a number of public buildings and business blocks which equal in their architectural features and construction those found in any other city in America. Foremost among these is the county courthouse and city hall, erected by the county and city at a cost of about $3,500,000. This structure occupies an entire block. It is built of Ortonville granite and is finished in marble. It has a tower 350 feet high in the upper story of which is an observatory, from which an excellent view of the city can be obtained. Among other buildings worthy of mention are the new Federal building, covering a city block; the Minneapolis Art Museum; the Auditorium, with a seating capacity of over 2,500; the Plymouth, First National-Soo, McKnight and Security Bank buildings; the Masonic Temple; the Lumber Exchange; the public library, containing 225,000 volumes; the Metropolitan Life Building; the New York Life Building; the Chamber of Commerce; the Radisson, Dyck- man, Andrews and West hotels. The city is also noted for its large and beautiful churches. The most important among these are the Roman Catholic Pro-Cathedral, Saint Mark's, Second Church of Christ, Scientist; Wesley Methodist, Plymouth Congregationalist, Park Avenue Congregationalist, Westminster Presbyterian, First Unitarian and the Church of the Redeemer, Universalist. The Buildings of the University of Minnesota, on a beautiful campus on the east bank of the river, are also noteworthy.