Shabats, Servia (Town) 1911 Profile, #01: General Description
SHABATS (also written Shabatz and Sabac), a town in Servia, capital of the Drina department, on the right bank of the river Save. Pop. (1900) 12,072. It has a medieval castle, built in 1470 by Sultan Mahommed II., to facilitate the incursion of the Turks into Slavonia, which lies on the left bank of the river. It is the principal commercial town of north-western Servia, exporting cereals, prunes, cattle and pigs to Hungary. It is well known for the excellent white honey which comes from its neighbourhood. The district is rich in lime-trees. Shabats is the seat of a bishop, of the district prefecture, and of a tribunal. It has a college and a library, and a garrison occupies the old fort. The people of Shabats have the reputation of being the wittiest in Servia.
NOTE: This article is an historical reference based on the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica, now in the Public Domain. The text is provided through scanning and OCR conversion. There may be transcription errors in the article. Encyclopedia style: 1) For reasons of cost and academic writing style, the paragraphs are long in length. 2) Contributors to articles are sometimes identified by their initials in parentheses at the end of the article. 3) Some articles include a section called "Authorities," a record of all the sources used when writing the article. 4) Information is based on knowledge available in 1911 and may be inaccurate, especially in the areas of science, law, and ethnography. 5) Images and diagrams from the original are not included with article. 6) Do not use this information for medical or legal guidance or any research requiring current information.
**Next article: Shabats, Servia (Town) 1911 Historical Profile #2: Climate