Article_header_shadow

Pirot, Servia (Town) 1911 Profile



Icon-europe%20-serbia-original

PIROT (Turkish Shehr-Koey), a Servian town, 122m. from the Bulgarian frontier at Tsaribrod, on the railway line between Nish and Sofia. Pop. (1900), 10,428. Pirot is the seat of the prefecture for the department of the same name, with a tribunal, several schools and a custom-house. It is the only proper industrial town in Servia, having numerous small factories for the manufacture of thin cloth (shayak), woollen braid (gaytan), and especially carpets. Its carpets have a great reputation in the Balkan Peninsula for their quaint designs, durability and freshness of colour. Pirot has a medieval fortress, believed to have been built on the site of the Roman fortress Quimedava, on the military road leading from Old Naissus to Philippopolis. The town is of great strategical importance, for which reason the Russian plenipotentiaries at the Berlin congress (1878) stubbornly tried to include it within the Bulgarian frontier, while Austria and some other Powers insisted that it should be given to Servia. In the war between Servia and Bulgaria in 1885 the Bulgarians occupied and held it until the conclusion of peace.

      "Pirot," The Encyclopedia Britannica, Volume 21, Payn, James to Polka (11th ed.), (New York: Encyclopedia Britannica, 1911); digital edition, (http://mygenshare.com : posted 15 Jan 2013)

© 2008 MyGenShare 2012. All Rights Reserved. MyGenShare neither warrants nor represents that your use of materials displayed on this site will not infringe the rights of third parties not owned or affiliated with MyGenShare. The trademarks displayed on this Site are registered and unregistered trademarks of MyGenShare.



Add a Comment



*Spam Protection (finish statement)

We live on planet .